As a lecturer, I’m responsible for teaching the General Physics sequence (PHYS 101 and 102). I’m interested in exploring different pedagogical methods and have been a proponent of active learning in the classroom for my courses. I also serve as an academic advisor in Penn’s Pre-Health Post-Baccalaureate Program.
- Ph.D., Temple University (2010)
- M.S., University of Calcutta, India (2002)
- B.S (Honors), St. Xavier’s College, India (2000)
- Liberal and Professional Studies Award for Distinguished Teaching in Undergraduate and Post-Baccalaureate Programs, University of Pennsylvania (2022)
- Excellence in Teaching Award, UPCEA, Mid-Atlantic Region (2022)
- Order of Anthony Wayne, Valley Forge Military Academy and College (2014)
- Teaching Excellence Award, valley Forge Military Academy and College (2009)
- Peter-Havaas Scholarship for best physics graduate student, Temple University (2008)
- National Scholarship Award, University of Calcutta (2000)
- Undergraduate Summer Research Fellowship, Jawaharlal Nehru Center for Advanced Scientific Research (1999)
Theoretical and computational condensed matter physics
- Strongly correlated electron systems: Heavy Fermion Systems
- Single impurity models, Kondo lattices
- PHYS 101 (General Physics: Mechanics, Sound, and Heat)
- PHYS 102 (General Physics: EM, Optics, and Modern Physics)
Intrinsically Localized Modes of the Fermi-Pasta-Ulam Lattice
S. Basu and P.S. Riseborough, Philosophical Magazine 92, 134-144 (2012)
Crystal fields and the gamma->alpha phase transition in Ce
Peter S. Riseborough and Sukalpa Basu, Physica B 378-380 (2006) 686-687.
Tricritical Phenomena at the gamma->alpha Transition in Ce0.9-xLaxTh0.1 Alloys
J.C. Lashley, A.C. Lawson, J.C. Cooley, B. Mihaila, C.P. Opeil, L. Pham, W.L. Hults, J.L. Smith, G.M. Schmiedeshoff, F.R. Drymiotis, G. Chapline, P.S. Riseborough and S. Basu, Physics Rev. Lett. 97 (2006) 235701
The gamma-to-alpha transition in Cerium
Peter S. Riseborough and Sukalpa Basu, Actinide Research Quarterly (2005) 5-9.